Thursday, December 18, 2008

~SLIDING HOME~

I have to chime in on this one. Aunt Sue, I bet you remember this. We were in California for Christmas in '75 or '76, I think it was '75, I want to say that, because Mike had gotten me a promise ring for Christmas, because he did not want me going to CA without a ring, and we knew my mom and dad would not let me have an engagement ring at "15", I would have been sixteen in '76, got engaged in Nov. '77. I had a coat that could either be Long or you zip the bottom off and it was a short coat, it was black with a white fur collar. Aunt Sue fell in love with that coat and offered to buy it from me. Now, I was in California, with only that coat to keep me warm if it should get cold, however, when we left for CA, the weather was really good, not too cold....
While we were there we did some Shopping (Imagine that). I found a sweater actually 2, that I just loved, it had pockets on the front and a belt with it, one was light blue and one was brown stripped. I bought them and told Aunt Sue, I would sell (actually we just traded the coat for what I owed her on the phone bill for calling my boyfriend back home while I was there) her my coat, because I would not need anything more than that sweater on the way home...

WELL>>>>>>>>> Little did I know about what was ahead of us on the way home. We hit snow and ice at Needles CA and drove on it the remainder of the way home, including our driveway.. SOLID ICE. Dad kept asking west bound truckers (the day of the CB Radio)"how did it look over their shoulder" (CB Language, I never did get into that, now Pam.. Boy I will have to tell you a story about her and the CB Radio) and we were always told about another 50 miles and you will be out of it,,,,, Apparently that storm was just about 50 miles ahead of us, because we NEVER ran out of it.... So there I was with only a SWEATER to keep me warm when we would stop... Needless to say, I did not linger outside the car any length of time when we would stop, just run in do my business and run back to the car.. I just about froze my Patootie off that trip... I was so COLD,,, I was never so cold in all my life... But Aunt Sue was toasty warm in that COAT!

Wonder what ever became of that COAT??

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Nancy I can not remember the coat. guess I am getting forgetful. I do recall the Christmas though. It was a warm winter with a drought hanging over NOrthern California.