Sunday, September 28, 2008

~Grandparents~

When I was typing the last post, I was thinking about my grandparents, in particular my Grandma Brown. I remember after she had her stroke and her and I were sitting watching TV one evening and I was working on a blanket or something. She told me she was kinda disappointed that I had not taken up her quilting. She always thought I would be the one to take that up, but after watching me that evening, she then understood why I did not quilt, she could see how fast I could do a blanket in crochet.

But thanks to my oldest son, Buck, I think she would be proud of these!!!



Yes, they are Crocheted Quilts... Buck had asked me to make him a blanket for Christmas, and this is the one he wanted, handing me a book that he borrowed from Mandy's (his wife) Mom. It was the Log Cabin one at the top. Then a couple months later, Mandy's mom was working on the Double Wedding Ring and could not get one part to come out right, could I figure out what she was doing wrong, so I started the bottom one. About halfway through this one, I thought "Grandma would be happy, I have taken up her quilting, just in a different form".. The Log cabin one was really easy, but the Double Wedding Ring, was a challenge. Over the past 3 years I have made 5 of the Log Cabin and 4 of the Double Wedding Ring ones. This one I kept for myself.. I want to do a Log Cabin baby blanket. One of the girls that works in the main office of the Company Larry works for has just had a baby girl, I think I will this one for her... I'll pick up the yarn for it tomorrow..

This one I did again at the request of Buck, unfortunately the one I made for him burnt in the house just 6 weeks after I gave it to him, but because of the Grace of God none of them were injured, just stuff lost. I call it the Color Wheel Grannyghan.. Notice it starts and ends with Red,,, Red and Yellow make Orange so Orange is between the Red and Yellow. Yellow and Blue make Green, so it is between the Yellow and Blue, then Blue and Red make Purple, so it is between Blue and Red.. To add a little variety I added the pastel version of each of these colors alternating them between the dark colors. I thought it turned out neat. I have sold several of these as well. It is kind of a quilt since it is all these blocks put together.

I think this is all for today. I am off to paint the tank on the tractor that I have sanded and primed. We are coming right along on that old treasure we bought just 2 months ago. I will post update on it soon..

Have a SAFE BLESSED WEEK!!!!!!!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Those are wonderful! We have an afghan you crocheted Dylan when he was born stored away for safe keeping...although between 4 kids it got a lot of use!

Anonymous said...

Nan, always know your Grandma would be proud or is proud. I like to believe she can see me canning, freezing food and quilting. I can almost feel her smile. I often talk to her. Like, Help me on this stitch. LOL No I am not nuts. I just appreciate everything she taught me and mostly how to take care of my family.